Bye Hanoi, and off we go!

February 1st, 2017

We arrived back in Hanoi at the wee hours of the morning. With sleep still in our eyes we ventured out for the day knowing that soon we would be back in Taiwan…or so we thought.

We walked back to our first hotel, picked up Amanda’s passport, and sat down for a cup of coffee. We had some free time before we needed to go to the airport, so we walked to the Women’s Museum. It was closed due to the holiday, unfortunately. At this point we were hungry and really wanted food. We walked around asking three different restaurants if they served food and none of them served food until 11:00am. Does nobody in Asia eat breakfast before 11:00am?!? This gave Amanda and I a chance to b*tch about breakfast times in Asia while we continued to try to find a place to eat. Finally, we found a place and sat down for a big breakfast.


After breakfast we walked over to the Prison Museum to see if it was open and it was. We spent some time walking around the museum reading prisoner’s testimonies, looking at pictures, and walking into the cells. It was very eery and also deceiving. The stories made it sound like some prisoners were treated well when in fact that were treated very poorly.

With heavy hearts we left the Prison Museum and walked towards the train station. We were going to try to take a bus to the airport instead of a taxi. I think the first taxi ride traumatized us. We found the bus easily and got right on. It cost us $2 (USD)! Lesson learned: when in Vietnam, try to take the bus.

We made it to the airport with plenty of time before check-in, so we ate Burger King. I was in burger heaven. We checked-in and walked around the shops in the airport waiting for our flight. I was waiting at the gate when I looked up and saw that our flight was no longer on the board. It had been moved to a different gate, so we speed walked to the other gate and no one was there. Feeling very confused and anxious we looked around and waited. I didn’t want to miss our flight! Eventually a woman told us that our flight had been delayed. The airline gave us a meal voucher and we continued to waste more time in the airport. After awhile I was getting very crabby because I just wanted to be home (poor Amanda had to deal with that). We goofed around a bit, went through another gate change, and then FINALLY got on the airplane. We were going back to our second home.

Back in Taiwan meant it was back to reality, but dang it was a great trip. I love Vietnam, and I hope I get to go back again.